Financial Help

Credit Counselors

  • The National Foundation for Credit Counselors (NFCC) promotes the national agenda for financially responsible behavior and builds capacity for its members to deliver the highest quality financial education and counseling services. Call 800-388-2227 to speak to a counselor near you. Para ayuda en Español Ilama al 800-682-9832.
  • Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) is a Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved, non-profit NFCC member United Way Agency. CCCS can help you get control of your finances and reach your housing goals though financial counseling and education.

Credit Report

  • Annual Credit Report - This central site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure, commonly called a credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Foreclosure Help

  • Nevada Housing Division - Information to learn more about foreclosures in Nevada and resources that can help you avoid losing your home.
  • Please contact the foreclosure mediation hotlines in Northern Nevada by calling 775-687-9816, or in Southern by calling Nevada 702-486-9380, or visit the Nevada Foreclosure Mediation webiste.

Financial Assistance

Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. Congress originally approved the tax credit legislation in 1975, in part to offset the burden of social security taxes and to provide an incentive to work. When the EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit.

To qualify, taxpayers must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if they did not earn enough money to be obligated to file a tax return.

The EITC has no effect on certain welfare benefits. In most cases, EITC payments will not be used to determine eligibility for Medicaid, supplemental security income (SSI), food stamps, low-income housing, or most TANF payments. Find more information, visit the IRS website.